|What is JanusVM?|
| JanusVM is software that allows you to surf the Internet without oppression or censorship, while protecting your privacy, security, and identity. It has advanced filtering capabilities for modifying web page content, managing cookies, controlling access, and removing ads, banners, pop-ups and other obnoxious Internet junk. JanusVM was designed to be used on Microsoft Windows (2000/XP/2003) and Linux.|
| JanusVM Features|
* Works with WiFi.
* Support multiple users in a LAN.
* Protects you from most man-in-the-middle attacks.
* Protects your identity and your true location by masking your IP Address.
* Encrypts and re-routes your DNS request and ALL TCP traffic to ensure strong privacy.
* Strips out most privacy sensitive information your web browser may leak.
* Blocks popups, annoying ads, banners, and other obnoxious Internet junk.
* Very simple setup and operation.
* Works transparently for applications using TCP. (No UDP or ICMP support)
|How does it work?|
JanusVM is powered by VMware, built on the Linux 2.6.14 kernel, and brings together openVPN, Squid, Privoxy, and Tor, to give you a transparent layer of security and privacy that is compatible with all your TCP based applications. DNS request are also passed through Tor so even your ISP doesn't know what web site you are looking at. All your web traffic is passed through squid and privoxy to filter out unwanted internet junk & prevents your web browser from leaking information about your computer system.
One of the core components that make this possible is an awesome piece of software called Tor. Tor is what allows you to re-route your traffic around the internet anonymously. A more detailed explanation of this can be found here.
* Updated Tor to version tor-0.2.0.8-alpha
* Removed forced time synchronization
* Fixed hidden service transparent DNS resolution
* Updated private dir retrieval for latest Tor version
* Upgraded to kernel 22.214.171.124 tick-less scheduling
* Upgraded privoxy to v3.0.6 and latest rules
* Upgraded Tor to v0.2.0.6-alpha now using DNSPort
* Added support for direct transparent routing through NAT device
* Added openvpn client support (see ovpn/ dir in zip)
* Updated Tor (which includes the new IP addresses of the DA's)
* Added NewNYM option to get a new Tor Circuit
* Updated Tor to version 0.1.2.14
* Fixed Samba vulnerability (CVE-2007-2444, CVE-2007-2446, CVE-2007-2447)
* Fixed PPTPD vulnerability (CVE-2007-0244)
* Fixed initial "loopback detected" error.